PaperCut is a cross-platform print monitoring application designed to support printing from any client platform. Individual client computers interface with the application software through mounting standard print server queues. Many Biology IT managed printers use PaperCut to manage printing. To use and install a PaperCut printer, first the PaperCut client must be installed and secondly the printer must be added to the computer.
The steps below are for Windows computers. For Mac see Mac specific instructions
Install PaperCut Client
- Open Software Center in the Start Menu
- Search for PaperCut and Click Install
- Whenever you need to print, you will need to make sure the Papercut client is running first.
- It can be opened manually in Start Menu -> PaperCut MF -> PaperCut MF Client
Install PaperCut Printer
Most Biology IT printers will be made available to your computer automatically. Please contact us if you are not finding a printer.
Otherwise to install manually follow these instructions:
- Open the Start Menu, use the bottom search bar to find and open Control Panel
- Under Hardware and Sound go to View Devices and Printers
- On the top bar go to Add a Printer
- Immediately click on The printer that I want is not listed
- Check Select a shared printer by name
- Put the Papercut queue name for example \\papercut3.its.iastate.edu\SCI2-0339-color, click Next
Wait for Windows to finish connecting to printer, you may be prompted to install a printer driver
Click Next and click Finish
Print to PaperCut Printer
Print normally as you would from any application, selecting the PaperCut printer you wish to print to when prompted. A Papercut login box may appear after selecting to print. Type in your ISU netid and password and set the remember box if desired to a longer time.
I print something, but nothing prints at the printer
Make sure the PaperCut Client is running before printing. Open it from the Start Menu.
No Software Center?
All university-owned computers that are supported by Biology IT have the Self Service application on Macintosh or Software Center on Windows.
If you are using a university-owned computer supported by Biology IT that does not have these programs, something has gone horribly wrong and you should contact Biology IT for support.
If you are using your own personal laptop or device, you can still install the PaperCut client. However, you will need to run the installer on your own. You must be connected to the ISU network or be connected to ISU VPN first.
- Open an Explorer window and type in \\papercut.its.iastate.edu\PCClient
- If a login prompt is received:
- Username: IASTATE\yournetid
- Password: Net-ID password
- Copy the entire ‘win’ folder to your computer
- Double-click ‘client-local-install’ to start the installation
- Accept any license agreements and click next through all the prompts.