PaperCut is a cross-platform print monitoring application designed to support printing from any client platform. Individual client computers interface with the application software through mounting standard print server queues. Many Biology IT managed printers use PaperCut to manage printing. To use and install a PaperCut printer, first the PaperCut client must be installed and secondly the printer must be added to the computer.
The steps below are for Macintosh computers. For Windows see Windows specific instructions.
Install PaperCut Client
- Open Self Service in your Applications folder
- Search for PaperCut and Click Install
- Whenever you need to print, you will need to make sure the Papercut client is running first.
- It can be opened manually in Applications -> PCClient
Install PaperCut Printer
Most Biology IT printers are available in Self Service for installation. Just open Self Service and search for the printer you want to install or use the Printers category on the left to browse.
Otherwise to install manually follow these instructions:
- Go to the Apple Menu in the upper left and click System Preferences
- Go to Printers and Scanners
- Click on the (+) icon under the list of printers
- Click on the IP tab
- Address: papercut3.its.iastate.edu
- Protocol: Line Printer Daemon – LPD
- Queue: The Queue name for the printer (e.g. for 503 Science 2 printer it is SCI2-0503-color)
- Change the Name and location to something more memorable, otherwise leave as is
- Use: Generic PostScript Printer
- Click Add
- Check the ‘Duplex Printing Unit’ box if the printer supports duplex and click OK
Print to PaperCut Printer
Print normally as you would from any application, selecting the PaperCut printer you wish to print to when prompted. A Papercut login box may appear after selecting to print. Type in your ISU netid and password and set the remember box if desired to a longer time.
I print something, but nothing prints at the printer
Make sure the PaperCut Client is running before printing. Open it from Applications folder it is called PCClient.
No Self Service Application?
All university-owned computers that are supported by Biology IT have the Self Service application on Macintosh or Software Center on Windows.
If you are using a university-owned computer supported by Biology IT that does not have these programs, something has gone horribly wrong and you should contact Biology IT for support.
If you are using your own personal laptop or device, you can still install the PaperCut client. However, you will need to run the installer on your own. You must be connected to the ISU network or be connected to ISU VPN first.
- Go to Finder -> Go -> Connect to Server…
- For server address use smb://papercut.its.iastate.edu/PCClient/
- Click Connect and use your ISU Net-ID and password
- Copy the mac folder to your local computer
- When it is finished copying, double click the ‘client-local-install’ to install
- When prompted to ‘Install PCClient into the Applications Folder’ – Click Yes
- Go to Applications and double click PCClient
- Click Open if prompted
- Login with your ISU Net-ID and password, check ‘remember my identity’ if desired
- A green and white box with your print balance will appear.
- Whenever you need to print, you will need to make sure the Papercut client is running first. It can be opened manually in Applications -> PCClient